Sunday, November 23, 2014

Let There Be Light...



You knew I couldn’t pass up that cliché, right?

I haven’t blogged as much as I have wanted to partly because I have been teaching and partly because we have been making decisions. Lots and lots of decisions. And by the time I’m done with the decisions for the day, I’m too mentally tired to write about them. I did not understand “decision fatigue,” especially the avoidance flavor, until this house.

I had thought we would be able to avoid making decisions during the middle of a semester by beginning early, so we started last year – as in Summer 2013. We chose and modified the floor plan. We decided on the kitchen layout and cabinets. We picked the flooring and the appliances, and we got a fair start on the lights. Each of these has had to be revisited, at least a little. But the lights…. Oh, golly, the lights.

I have been to Hansen Electric in Framingham at least five times, four of them in the last two months. Rose, our Hansen-sponsored guide, has also been to our house-in-process once. And I can finally say that we are down to about half-a-dozen decisions: three color choices; one model choice; one room that I don’t think is working right yet; and a lighting fixture I forgot to tell Rose about until Carl and I were at the house yesterday.

Keeping Track
I developed a spreadsheet to keep track, complete with brands, models, model numbers, quantities, links to websites, weights, and notes. I’ve also needed a marked up copy of the floor plan and a handful of handwritten notes to keep track. Lighting requires coordination among the lighting vendor, the electrician, the low-voltage vendor, and the builder. Sometimes, I don’t even know who to ask.

Sea Gull Windgate Two-Light Pendant
But the choices themselves are ours. Carl and I tend toward simple, with minimal fussiness and extra doodads. Once we decided that we wanted mostly bronze lighting fixtures, some of the choices were easy. Sea Gull’sWindgate works well for our basic ceiling lights, and we opted for the hanging version of the same collection (pictured at left) for the staircase to the second floor.

Sea Gull Holman Mini-Pendant
Pendants in the kitchen were a bit more taxing. I don’t like glass that flares too much (project for another day, define “too much”), and neither Carl nor I like odd-shaped metal on the tops. We were able to point at a few mini-pendants mounted over the desk at Hansen’s that we thought were ok, telling Rose what was not-so-ok about them. She led us to Sea Gull again, but this time the Holman collection. So we have our pendants for the kitchen.

Kichler Hendrik Casual Chandelier
A chandelier for the dining room caused a moderate amount of difficulty. The original one we chose last summer was discontinued, and our second choice was actually too small for our dining room table – apparently your dining room chandelier should be at least half the width of your table (who knew?). I think this is where true fatigue began to set in. There are so many chandeliers from so many companies. I started with the brands that Rose kept recommending: Murray-Feiss and Kichler. Kichler’s Hendrik Casual became the winner. Carl may have said “yes” to this one out of sheer exhaustion.

Murray-Feiss Sullivan 2-Light Vanity
Fixtures for the upstairs and half-bath – the bathrooms, I keep saying, that I don’t really care much about – were simply a matter of finding something inexpensive that would be in keeping with the style we’re fostering. Murray-Feiss’s Sullivan collection works here, with the bonus that the single light version has a tight enough clearance to serve as the light at the top of the stairs to the basement. My alternative there was something that looks like it belongs in my grandparent’s house.

Kichler Lindstrom Collection
Outside lights also weren’t terribly difficult, once I decided that I really did want consistency among the pendant, post, and wall-mounted lights, and that Carl and I both liked cylindrical glass inside a squarish frame. Kichler’s Lindstrom does this, though I’m not 100% convinced on the way that the bottoms are wider than the tops. I think my exhaustion is showing here.

The lighting decision that gave me the most trouble was the foyer. We aren’t having a chandelier there because we are putting in a ceiling fan where an entry chandelier would normally go. Rose thought that wall sconces would work. We have a small angled wall that points toward the front door and a larger wall beside the front door where a larger sconce would fit. Now for the challenge: find matching sconces. We found a small one we liked quickly: Murray-Feiss Vista. But there is no matching wider version. I could find half-moons, but they had different glass. Or the kind of doodads that Carl really hates. I heard “Bleah!” from him lots of times as I showed him yet-another sconce. I guess I gave him too much time to recover after the chandelier.

Livex Brookside Larger Sconce
Finally, I found a vendor that looked promising; the problem was that it wasn’t on Hansen’s list online. “Livex,” said Rose, “Hey! We just started carrying them!” We found a pair in the Brookside collection that might work…but they have a rather large embellishment on the bottom. Fortunately, that part of the light doesn’t have to go up, though I am hoping that Carl will consider it once he sees it outside of a catalog. Maybe I’ll still like it in person, too. If not, I’ll stash those pieces away to put up later when Carl’s not looking. He’ll never notice.

Hanging around Hansen’s, I heard people say several times that they “fell in love” with a particular fixture. I thought that language rather odd since none of our lighting choices were moving me to wax poetic. Until I found the pendant that will be going over our bathtub.

We have a perfectly decadent master bathroom space, including a tub in an alcove with windows on three sides (well insulated, of course). The ceiling over the tub is raised. And from that raised ceiling, we will be hanging a star. A purple one.

Meyda 18" Moravian Star Pendant
Rose was trying to talk me out of the star because of some issues with bulbs getting too hot in the enclosed glass – until she saw the purple one. She exclaimed to her co-workers that they needed to get one to hang in the store. Rose called Meyda, the company that sells the star, because the website says that they are custom items. Normal lead time is 6-10 months. But we caught a bit of a break: someone had ordered five of them and then bailed on the order. The color is a little darker than the picture, but would that be ok? Oh, yes. And, again, I say, yes.

There are moments in this process when I feel overwhelmed, but in addition to a bit of luck like the availability of the star, there are also little moments of magic. When Carl and I were doing the walk-through with Rose on-site, she suggested a pendant over the tub that would match whatever we chose to put over our vanity. I shook my head, saying maybe something contrasting instead, something colorful. In my head, I was thinking “Tiffany,” but it felt silly and frivolous to think about putting a Tiffany light in the bathroom. Carl looked at me and said with complete seriousness, “Tiffany.” Magic. And, once again, I know I am married to the right guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment